3-DAY CAMP: Backcountry Skills Camp
January 25-27, 2023 at the Baldy Knoll Yurt
Cost: $1,424 plus 7% tax and fees.
Camp includes :
- Three days backcountry guiding/instruction,
- Two nights slopeside yurt lodging
- All meals from lunch on day one through lunch on day three
- Rental of avalanche safety equipment, sleeping bag and porter service.
- Group size is limited to six participants with two guides insuring personalized instruction
The Mountains are the ‘classroom’ at this Camp!
Take your skill set to the next level! Our Backcountry Skills Camp is a great complement to the Level 1 Avalanche Course but is not a replacement for a traditional avalanche course. Learn how to make a tour plan, use touring equipment, climbing skins, avalanche transceivers and other rescue items, and gain tips for efficient uphill travel techniques. Also learn techniques for descending powder, variable snow conditions and variable terrain. Learn how to transition efficiently so you are faster on the uphill and quicker to reach the powder. Learn what to carry in your pack, how to read a Topo map, and how to plan and adjust your tour based on weather and conditions.
This camp is designed for skiers and riders with solid downhill skills who enjoy powder but have little to no experience touring or using climbing skins in the backcountry.
The camp will focus on the following skills:
- Tour planning techniques
- What to carry in your pack for touring
- Track setting and uphill navigation
- Efficient transitions
- Route finding in avalanche terrain
- Snowpack stability assessment
- Downhill powder techniques
- Variable terrain and variable snow tips and tricks
- Backcountry rescue
Participants must be in good physical and cardiovascular condition, have solid downhill ability, and be able to hike and ski four to five miles in a day. No backcountry experience or avalanche education is necessary.
Cost: $1,425 plus 7% tax and fees
“Thanks for the great trip and excellent guides, yurt and food. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and was impressed by your knowledgeable guides that shared a great deal of information regarding aspects, avalanche conditions/snow science and route finding. I look forward to another trip with you folks next year!”
“I do want to thank you and your team for an awesome trip. It was an incredible experience and beyond my expectations” Will, January 2022